Servings: 2 people
Carbohydrate Serves: 2.5 per person
(1 carbohydrate serve = 15 grams of total carbohydrate)
For all my non-Australian readers the BLET is just the beginning. You’ve also got your BLAT, BLEAT and BLETC. (And vegetarians don’t forget the TLAT or TLEAT.) This is a hearty Sunday morning breakfast or a quick one to whip up for picnics or breakfasts to-go. Trim your bacon and reduce your fat intake. (Main carbohydrate containing ingredients are listed in bold.)
- 4 slices multigrain or wholegrain bread, lightly toasted
- 4 rashers low fat bacon, trimmed of all fat (replace with grilled tofu for a vegetarian alternative)
- 4 eggs, fried on both sides until yolk is cooked through
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 baby cos lettuce, leaves separated
- Chili sauce or tomato sauce (optional)
Either grill your bacon on a rack, or pan fry it and leave it to sit on paper towelling to draw off excess fat. While your bacon and eggs are on the go, toast your bread.
Assemble your BLET at the last minute when the eggs and bacon are still warm. You could also serve a few dill pickles on the side.
Tip: This is a tasty idea for a picnic lunch.
Post-GDM suggestion: Replace your bread with a toasted turkish roll and add a good slathering of mashed avocado and barbecue sauce onto the bread before final assembly.