Servings: 2 people
Carbohydrate Serves: <0.5 per person
(1 carbohydrate serve = 15 grams of total carbohydrate)
Sometimes I get carried away editing recipes, rounding up Lego, rinsing the lint filter in our washing machine, daydreaming about what to cook next. And I forget to each lunch. I’ll suddenly look up and realise my son is about to wake and it’s 2.30pm! Provided you have the ingredients on hand, this salad takes about 6.5 minutes to prepare. It’s a gestational diabetes friendly favourite for me and I honestly eat it several times a week. I interchange the tofu with tuna/ pink salmon or even cheese. See what you think. (Main carbohydrate containing ingredients are listed in bold.)
- 1 small head broccoli, cut into bite-sized florets
- 1 zucchini, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 250g / 8 ounces firm tofu, cubed, lightly pan-fried (or steamed)
- 75g / 2.5 ounces corn niblets
- 1 small can tuna in springwater, drained (optional)
- ½ avocado, cubed or sliced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds to serve
Dressing (thoroughly combine the following)
- Juice of 1 small lemon
- 1 tablespoon miso paste (light or dark)
- 2 tablespoons natural yogurt
- A dash or warm water if dressing needs thinning
Lightly steam or boil broccoli and zucchini and set aside.
Lightly pan-fry tofu until slightly crisp. (Alternatively you could steam it.)
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Toss well with half of dressing. Divide between bowls and drizzle with remaining dressing. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
Variations: Add some halved cherry tomatoes.
Post GDM-suggestion: Add 1 teaspoon of honey and/or tahini to the dressing. And replace tuna with smoked salmon.