Servings: 4 people
Carbohydrate Serves: 2 per person
(1 carbohydrate serve = 15 grams of total carbohydrate)
I was treated to this piece of simple deliciousness by my husband. Never shy of experimenting with the humble can of tuna, this is what he came up with. Don’t skimp on the lemon zest – it’s a great gestational diabetes kitchen aid. (Main carbohydrate containing ingredients are listed in bold.)
- 1 x 425g can/ 14 ounces tuna in springwater, well drained
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 1/2 red onion, chopped finely
- 1/2 lemon, finely zested
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 200g/ ~½ pound baby spinach leaves
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 2 tomatoes. sliced
- 8 Mountain Bread wraps (2 per person or a low GI flat bread equivalent)
Combine tuna, mayonnaise, red onion, lemon juice and zest in a bowl and mix well.
Put a handful of spinach leaves, some carrot and several slices of tomato in the centre of each wrap.
Place an eighth of tuna mix on top. Fold in edges and place on plate. Repeat for each wrap.