Servings: 4 people
Carbohydrate Serves: 2 per person
(1 carbohydrate serve = 15 grams of total carbohydrate)
This simple side dish will go nicely with grilled meat or fish or you could add some of the additional ingredients listed below to fill it out for a gestational diabetes friendly lunchtime salad or easy dinner. (Main carbohydrate containing ingredients are listed in bold.)
- 320g/ 11 ounces of Israeli couscous (large grain couscous)
- 1 tablespoon light olive or cooking oil
- 1- 1½ cups salt-reduced vegetable stock
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ red capsicum, finely chopped into small cubes
- 50g/ 3 tablespoons of flaked almonds, lightly toasted
Cook couscous according to packet instructions. Or, in a medium saucepan bring to boil 2 ½ cups of vegetable stock and 1 tablespoon of oil.
Reduce heat, add couscous, stir and simmer until liquid is absorbed.
Cover, remove from heat and let stand for 5 minutes.
Before serving, gently fluff couscous with a fork to separate the grains. Mix through parsley, capsicum, lemon rind and toasted almonds.
Turn this from a side dish to a meal: Fill this out by adding some grilled vegetables such as red or yellow capsicum, zucchini, fennel, mushrooms, along with some salad, chopped tomatoes and fetta (if you’re eating this) or a dollop of low fat natural yoghurt. Dust with ground cumin.