Servings: 4 people
Carbohydrate Serves: 2.5 per person
(1 carbohydrate serve = 15 grams of total carbohydrate)
So since you’ve had gestational diabetes have you dared invite friends over for dinner? Is it too stressful a thought and are you stumped at what could possibly be both gestational diabetes friendly and dinner-party worthy? Well this recipe should help you get your groove back. It’s healthy, juicy and perfect for the communal table. Feel free to swap the tarragon for other fresh herbs (basil, lemongrass or coriander/ cilantro) however I think the tarragon tastes amazing with the sweet potato/ kumera. Enjoy! (Main carbohydrate containing ingredients listed in bold.)
- 1 large (around 1kg/ 2 pound) whole fish (such as snapper or ocean trout), cleaned and ready for stuffing
- 2 tablespoons light olive or vegetable oil
- 2 large leeks, dark green parts cut off, quartered lengthwise, then sliced every 1cm/ ½”
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed or finely sliced
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1 lemon, rind finely, then slice into rounds (both rind and lemon slices will be used)
- Salt and cracked pepper
- ½ cup fresh tarragon (you could also add or use 2 tablespoons of dried marjoram if tarragon is unavailable)
- Parchment paper or baking paper
- 600g/~1 pound sweet potato/ kumera, peeled, cubed, and roasted at the same time as the fish*
- 1 x 400g/ ~13 ounce can lentils, drained and well rinsed
- Green vegetables or a green salad to serve
Preheat the oven to 190°C/ 350F.
Heat a small amount of oil in a non-stick frypan on low-medium heat. Add chopped leek and garlic and cook for around 10 minutes until softened and translucent. Remove half and set aside for the fish accompaniment. Remove pan from heat and stir in lemon rind, lemon juice and cracked pepper.
Line a large baking dish with parchment paper or baking paper. Leave enough hanging over each side to be able to fold it back in on itself.
Make 2-3 deep slashes in both sides of the fish and brush with oil. Place in the lined dish. Spoon the leek mix (which includes the lemon) into the cavity. Now stuff the tarragon in lengthways. Place lemon rounds down the outside length of the fish. Season with cracked pepper.
Fold both sides of parchment inwards to cover the fish. At both ends, fold corners inwards and then fold the paper underneath the fish to completely seal it in.
Place dish in oven and bake for 25 minutes. At this point put your cubed and lightly oiled sweet potato into another baking dish. Also place in oven for the same amount of time.
When sweet potato is cooked, combine it with the lentils and the remainder of the leek. Season with pepper.
This meal is best served on a communal plate along with the side salad and lentil dish. Each person can serve themselves. (Remember to only serve yourself around 150g/ 2 handfuls of sweet potato and lentil side.)