Servings: 4 people
Carbohydrate Serves: 2 per person
(1 carbohydrate serve = 15 grams of total carbohydrate)
Is pasta one of your gestational diabetes staples? Here is a simple version. Make a double batch of pesto and store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks. (Main carbohydrate containing ingredients are listed in bold.)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 1 bunch fresh basil, roughly torn
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- Light olive oil
- 200g/ ½ pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 punnet (250g/ 8.8 ounces) cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 400g/ 14 ounces cooked fettucine pasta
Combine all ingredients for pesto and blend with a kitchen whiz, a hand blender or a mortar and pestle. Set aside.
Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Stir through pesto and tomatoes and set aside.
Steam or blanch green beans.
Serve pesto pasta with green beans.
Variations: Lightly panfry some sliced mushrooms in a small amount of oil and stir through pasta along with 1 finely chopped red capsicum.