Spicy Pork Meatballs
Servings: 4 people
Carbohydrate Serves: 2.5 per person
(1 carbohydrate serve = 15 grams of total carbohydrate)
This green sauce is magic to have in the freezer so make a double batch and save some. I’m always on the hunt for spices and low carb sauces that work for gestational diabetes friendly meals. And this is a punchy alternative to gremolata (traditionally made from lemon zest, garlic and parsley.) Here the coriander and chili give it a kapow that is delicious with fish or as the dressing in a potato salad. (Main carbohydrate containing ingredients are listed in bold.)
Make the sauce before the meatballs. For best results use a food processor or hand blender. Make double batch and freeze half.
- 1 bunch flat parsley, washed and roughly chopped
- 1 bunch coriander
- 1-2 cloves garlic, peeled, thinly sliced
- Fresh chili (small amount to suit your taste)
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- 500g/ ~1 pound of lean pork mince
- 4 shallots, ends trimmed, thinly sliced or 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, zested
- 1 egg
Stir fry ingredients
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 6 button mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red capsicum, hulled, thinly sliced long ways
- 2 teaspoon of finely grated ginger
- 400g/ ~1 pound of cooked Hokkien noodles
- 1 bunch choy sum or bok choy
- 1 tablespoon light tamari or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
Preheat oven to 180°C/ 160° fan-forced/ 350ºF.
Cook noodles according to packet instructions.
In a large mixing bowl combine mince, shallots, lime zest, egg and green sauce until all ingredients are well mixed in. Roll a tablespoon of mince mix into a ball and place on a plate. Repeat until mix is used up. Line a large baking tray with baking paper.
Lightly spray a heavy-based frypan with light cooking oil and heat over a medium heat. Cook meatballs in batches for around 3 minutes per batch, turning meatballs to cook evenly. Transfer to prepared lined tray. When all meatballs have been cooked and transferred to tray, place in the oven for around 10 minutes or until cooked through.
Heat sesame oil in a wok or large frypan. Add mushrooms, capsicum, ginger, noodles and choy sum. Stir, then add tamari and fish sauce. Cover with lid for a few minutes until all ingredients are heated through.
Divide amongst 4 bowls and top with meatballs and a sprinkling of sesame seeds.
Note: Only 100g/ 3.5 ounces of noodles per person to remain within the carb allowance.