Servings: 4 people
Carbohydrate Serves: 2 per person
(1 carbohydrate serve = 15 grams of total carbohydrate)
This is the the meal to cook when the chef wants a night off. Sure, there is a bit of chopping required but the only cooking needed is grilling the chicken. Serve all the fillings on a large platter and let everyone build their own burritos. (Main carbohydrate containing ingredients listed in bold.)
- 500g/ ~ 1 pound chicken breast, sliced thinly
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Mexican spice mix (see recipe below or buy ready-made sachet)
- 2 carrots, grated
- 1 small avocado, mashed
- 1 clove garlic, crushed and mixed with avocado
- 1 red capsicum, hulled, thinly sliced
- 1 cos or butter lettuce, washed, roughly torn
- 1 small red onion, halved, sliced thinly
- 1 bunch coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 limes, quartered
- 150g/ ~½ cup light sour cream
- 8 pieces low GI flat bread (be sure to check the package for your carbohydrate allowance)
For Mexican spice combine the following ingredients and store in an airtight container or jar:
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional if you don’t have any)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon ground dried onion (optional if you don’t have any)
Put chicken and Mexican spice in a clean plastic bag or large container with lid and shake to coat the meat with the spices. Heat oil in a large heavy-based frypan on medium heat. Cook chicken in batches for 5-8 minutes per batch, or until chicken is cooked and golden.
Arrange all the prepared ingredients on a large platter or in individual bowls and let people assemble their own burritos.
Reminder: Don’t forget to take into account the carbohydrate in the carrot as well as in your serving of bread.
Variation: Use fish, beef or lamb instead of chicken.
Que delicioso! Got to love Mexican – so easy and healthy! Low fat danish feta is a good substitute for sour cream too :)
I’ll hopefully feature some more Mexican recipes in the near future. I agree. Very delicious, simple & colourful food. One of my favourites.