Servings: 4 people
Carbohydrate Serves: 2 per person
(1 carbohydrate serve = 15 grams of total carbohydrate)
The easiest of easy Monday night dinners? And if your kids are also eating this, think about replacing fettucine pasta with something more bite-sized like conchiglie (shells), farfalle (bow ties) or rigatoni (tubes). (Main carbohydrate containing ingredients listed in bold.)
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, crushed
- 1 bunch fresh basil, roughly torn
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon light olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 chicken breast fillets (weighing approximately 350- 400g/ ~ 1 pound in total)
- Light olive oil
- 200g/ ½ pound green beans, trimmed
- 1 punnet/ 250g/ ½ pound cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
- 400g / ~ 1 pound cooked fettucine pasta
Combine all ingredients for pesto and blend with a kitchen whiz, a hand blender or a mortar and pestle. Set aside.
Cook pasta according to packet instructions. Stir through pesto, cover with lid and set aside.
Steam or blanch green beans.
Season chicken fillets with salt and pepper. Over a medium heat, heat oil in a heavy based frypan and cook fillets for around 5 – 8 minutes each side or until cooked through. Towards the end of cooking time, add tomatoes to pan. Let fillets sit for several minutes before slicing.
Serve approximately 100g/3.5 ounces of pesto pasta per person, topped with sliced chicken, tomato and green beans.
Post GDM-suggestions: Add 2 tablespoons of toasted pine nuts to the pesto mixture and blend.